Debbie and Jude were going to Mt Barney for a hike, but when we got there the rangers came to tell us that the park was closed due to a wild fire on the slopes of Mt Barney.
We drove on to the Main Range, on the border with NSW, and did a hike there instead. We followed the Box Forest trail from the carpark just past Cunninghams Gap to the pass and continued on via the Rainforest circuit and the Mount Cordeaux track to Morgans Walk and Bare Rock. We stopped for lunch at one of the lookouts and talked the whole day about all sorts of random things! Great training!
Box Forest Track
- Distance: 5 km return
- Time: Allow about 2 hrs walking time
- Details: Begin this walk at either the Cunningham picnic area or western end of the crest car park. Passing through rainforest and open forest, the track is named after the brush box (Lophostemon confertus), which line West Gap Creek. Birdlife is plentiful.
Mount Cordeaux Track
- Distance: 6.8 km return
- Time: Allow about 2.5 hrs walking time
- Details: Mount Cordeaux (1135 m) is known to Aboriginal people as Niamboyoo. Branching off the Rainforest circuit, the track zigzags through rainforest to the exposed upper slopes, ending at a lookout on the southern side. The cliff face of Mount Cordeaux is spectacular in spring when the giant spear lilies (Doryanthes palmeri) are in flower.
Bare Rock / Morgans Walk
- Distance: 12.4 km return
- Time: Allow about 4.5 hrs walking time
- Details: Detouring west of the peak of Mount Cordeaux, the track to Bare Rock (1168 m) crosses a rocky saddle north of the peak and re-enters rainforest before ending with a brief scramble to a rocky outcrop. From here there are spectacular views over the northern section of the park. Two varieties of tree fern grow near the track and Albert’s lyrebirds can be heard in the winter months.The 350 m Morgans Walk track leaves the Bare Rock track 680 m before Bare Rock and ends in a grove of montane heath.